I had been to workshop on "Academic Qualities and Problems of Librarians" on invitation by Mr. Kadadevaramutt, the president of Karnataka College Librarians Association on Feb 26, 2011. Mr. Kadadevaramutt asked me to speak on the online resources, use of digital libraries, institutional repositories, etc., As per his request I had mapped the thoughts, but suddenly I remembered the words of my friend AT (Ayesha Taranum, I used to call her AT) - first understand the audience and their state - I switched off my thoughts which already mapped. I started thinking about the workshop theme.

I felt the theme is very good (whoever may have selected), but, is it making the audience to think and debate on is the point. I consulted 8 college librarians of Government First Grade Colleges, I am sorry to say they could not able clearly say What is Academic Qualities? and if u ask them about the problems they will give a huge list, which is very difficult to consider them as the problems pertaining to Academic Qualities. With the discussion I decided to have my talk on the theme of the workshop so that I can justify my presence with the 'College Librarians'.

It was Mr. Kumar, who is working with Govt. First Grade College, Mandya discussed the issues pertaining to Academic Qualities of Librarians with regard to college in India. It was a great discussion which provided insight into the current status, problems and expectations from the assessment & accreditation committees from librarians. He gave several reference with whom I could discuss on the topic of the workshop. It was interesting at the same time sad to here about the status of librarians in college libraries. Even though Govt might have equated the librarians to the academic staff in salary, we are not given the privileges to define out roles and responsibility. I was shocked to know that as per the RTI (Right To Information) described by the Govt. the role of librarians is to "Issue the book to the needed user and accepting the returns of the same". Where as for the sweeper and peon they have made a complete list. When we are not clear about the role of librarians or library in academic activities of colleges in India, how can be aware about the roles which we have to play - it will take me some where else.

Let us come to our workshop topic discussion, I could able collect the information pertaining to academic qualities of librarians in college libraries in India, the problems they have (ofcourse I have included some of the problems which are not at all related to academics) and the suitable solutions for the said problems in the PPT



My session was scheduled post lunch, hope u can understand the situation of the audience who were sitting throughout the morning session discussing the problems with the Deputy Director of collegiate education. I started with the question 'What do you mean by Academic Qualities of Librarians?' and it went on and on...

I concluded with the following statement - 'Past is Experience, Present is Experiment and Future is Expectations..." so we librarians should 'Use our Experience in current Experiments to achieve our Expectations'

Even thought the audience appreciated my presentation, I am not satisfied about my role as a invited speaker in addressing the problems my college library friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Engaging library fraternity with emerging technologies

ಜ್ಞಾನನಿಧಿ ಪ್ರೊ|| ಮಲ್ಲಿನಾಥ್ ಕುಂಬಾರ್

RIMS tool for analyzing research contribution