Manasa 2011



I don’t know when I will come out of the habit of planning everything in the Nth movement.

Manasa 2011- academic exhibition, a week-long event organized by the University of Mysore, wherein ‘My’sore University Dept of LIS had stalled their knowledge.

As a professional librarian in Mysore I should have visited on the day 1 and probably should have involved myself more actively. But self alleged busy schedule did not allow me to visit the exhibition till last hour of the last day.

The welcome kept me warm in the chilling evening even at the winding time of the event, by my teachers and friends of library & LIS department. I am greatful to them for keeping me warm inspite of my erratic punctuality.

Mysore University Library had stalled their knowledge on the information sources and services extended with the aid of Information and Technology.

The LIS department exhibition was quite interesting with the welcome arch designed with thermo-coal books. The display was about how information and communication has grown over the years and how the technology has been used in libraries.

The pupil across the stall was very enthusiastic in explaining their thoughts behind organizing the materials and the display style. Starting with introduction to writing materials of the ancient age, they took me a tour through the evolution of writing, the forms of knowledge records like stone, palm leaves, animal skin, parchment paper, cloth, paper, … CD, DVD, iPOD, … virtual world. The de-tour was really educative and learning experience.

The ‘Temple of Knowledge’ made out of thermo coal was very impressive. The students were busy explaining the exhibits to the visitors, who are mainly the students from the schools and college in and around Mysore. It was interesting to see My DLISc students explaining the Web 2.0 concepts - Social Networking, Web technologies and communication technology – as it was my area of research. The other exhibits like Worlds famous libraries, Forms of documents, Physical forms of resources, etc., were colorful and attractive. Dr. Kumbar explained me the growth of technology with mankind it was very interesting.

It was a chance for me to visit the entire department. I felt, current students are very lucky to have a department equipped with computer lab with 35 systems (computers), class rooms with LCD and audio-visual facility, clean and presentable corridors. Some where I was J... of the neo-students, as I could not enjoy these facilities in my student days. I still remember, it was a great struggle to get the slot to work on computer (where only 3 systems were constituted the computer lab) to test our skills with the basic programming taught by my ever favorite Teacher Dr. SRU (Shalini R. Urs).

I was very much impressed by the ‘Classification Game’, where student give varieties of writing and reading materials asking the visitor to classify them logically. On doing so, they explain how the same logic has been used in classifying and organizing the library documents. Mr. Murali, student of 2nd year MLISc was very enthusiastic in explaining the video conferencing sessions conducted for public by the eminent personalities about library services and IT enabled services. The cartoons, quotes and messages were catchy.

Finally, it was a wonderful evening having a chance to have glance about library and information services to the knowledge society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ಜ್ಞಾನನಿಧಿ ಪ್ರೊ|| ಮಲ್ಲಿನಾಥ್ ಕುಂಬಾರ್

Engaging library fraternity with emerging technologies

RIMS tool for analyzing research contribution